To provide cultural enrichment, discipline, and positive self-esteem in all children through the art of dance.
The purpose of Iibada Dance Company is to educate youth in the beauty, strength, and discipline of dance.
The Iibada Dance Company was founded in 1989 under the direction of Sabra Logan, a.k.a. “Mama Sabra”. Through many years of teaching and performing various dance styles, she developed a desire to inspire the young to be positive young men and women. Thus, Iibada was born. Iibabada means “Worship” in Swahili. Iibada Dance Company in a 501(c) (3) non-profit organization and has been in existence for 22 years promoting education, discipline, self-esteem, and a safe place for children to come and express themselves through dance. Iibada has provided affordable dance lessons and has touched many lives of children and young adults throughout Indianapolis!
Great dancers are not great because of their technique, they are great because of their passion.” – Martha Graham
About the Founder:
Sabra Logan was born in Baltimore, MD. Mama Sabra’s dance career encompasses over twenty-five (25) years of dance experience. Mama Sabra’s training includes:
- Modern, Jazz & Ballet – Maryland Dance Community Center
- Modern, Jazz & Ballet – Butler University Indianapolis, IN
- African, Modern, Jazz, Hip Hop – Workshops: Madame C.J. Walker, Chicago Muntu Dance Company, Katherine Dunham, Soweto Street Beat, Khamisa Dance of Cincinnati, African-American Dance Ensemble & International Association of Blacks in Dance
Mama Sabra has an impressive resume of dance instruction. Some of her leadership includes:
- Eastern Star Baptist Church – Children’s Dance Ministry Director
- Zion Hope Christian School – Taught K-6th Grade African & Modern Dance
- Circle City Classic Pageant – Choreographed Junior & Senior high school contestants
- Indianapolis Children’s Museum StarPoint Program – Taught African & Modern Dance
Mama Sabra received her Child Development Accreditation from IVY Tech State College in 1999.